About the Sara Leonard Group
Your partner in doing more good.
The Sara Leonard Group delivers excellent professional guidance, education and facilitation to those responsible for fund development – fundraising professionals, CEOs, CFOs, board members and other nonprofit staff.
- The success of our clients and quality of life in our community.
- Client-centered guidance that is responsive, creative, customized and accessible.
- Client partnerships built on collegiality, trust, clarity, transparency and communication.
- Service to our colleagues, profession and community.
How can we help you do more good?
About Sara Leonard, MBA, CFRE
Executive Director • Director of Development • Major Gifts Officer • Director of Advancement
Board Member • Executive Committee Member • Trainer • Mentor
In her 25 years of nonprofit work, Sara has held many titles and been a solutions-oriented advancement professional.
She received her Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of Tampa and an MBA from the University of South Florida. She is a Certified Fundraising Executive and has been named as a Master Trainer by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
As the founding director of the Nonprofit Leadership Center’s Fund Development Academy, Sara created an extensive curriculum of fundraising and board governance courses. She has had the privilege of working with organizations to achieve their fundraising goals through instruction, coaching and consulting. She continues to serve as an instructor for the Fund Development Academy.
She has worked in the nonprofit sector raising funds for healthcare, educational and cultural organizations. She managed development operations including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors, managing annual giving, major gift cultivation and solicitation, training and management of staff, board and volunteers, foundation and corporate support, sponsorships, annual funds, special events and in-kind support. She is widely considered an expert in crisis fundraising and has guided organizations through capital campaigns – both large and small.
Sara serves on the board of directors of the Suncoast Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals and New Tampa Young Life. She is a former board member of the AFP Florida Caucus. She lives in Tampa with her husband and two children.
Sara proudly has affiliations with the following organizations:
- AFP Suncoast Chapter member and board member
- CFRE certificant
- Nonprofit Consultants Connection member
- Nonprofit Leadership Center of Tampa Bay faculty
- Institute for Nonprofit Innovation and Excellence trainer
- University of Tampa Nonprofit Management Program presenter